Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My brother was on a provincial disability number of years

Customer Question

My brother was on a provincial disability for a number of years and was recently terminated when he turned 65 and started receiving his Canada pension and OAS. He passed away up North in the wilderness although he lived in Prince George. The ministry took care of his cremation. As far as we know there was no will. My sister & I both live elsewhere and are not well. We also have a brother who travels a lot and is not interested in looking after his estate. He had nothing much anyway, an older car maybe a 1999 buick and some household items. It would seem to be the decent thing to contact his landlord but other than that we are not willing to be involved in processing his estate. I just spent over a year on my mothers and don't feel equipped to tackle another. What happens now?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for your loss and for this difficult situation. No one is under any obligation to do a thing. You can, as a courtesy only, let the landlord know that your brother has died and you can also say there is no estate, no Will, no executor and the landlord is free to do what he wants with your brother's belongings. The landlord cannot go after you or your siblings if rent is owing.