Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I had a fire July 2/2014. I had nothing but problems with

Customer Question

I had a fire July 2/2014. I had nothing but problems with Insurance. I sent in my contents in March and left it in their hands. I called in June to see where they were with it and he said it had been approved and I would get a check in two weeks. I phoned again when check did not arrive. They drug it out until the year was up and are cutting my payout by 50%. They had returned my belongings full of toxins which made me sick. My Dr. told me to stay away from my belongings. Do I have any recourse?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
What is their reason for providing a 50% reduction?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because it past the one year mark, they have a clause that says they can reduce it to 50% and not pay full replacement cost
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have paid the people that cleaned my contents more than what they plan on paying me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He said it was depreciated 50%
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you help me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there? Did you need more information?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
I am here now. You didn't reply for half an hour and by then I was not free to reply to you. Did you have replacement coverage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, I had to refresh my computer.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
If you have replacement coverage then you paid higher premiums and they cannot now say you are not entitled to replacement cost.I suggest you call and ask to speak to a supervisor and state that you are not satisfied, you hope you can get this resolved without retaining a lawyer but if you cannot you will retain a lawyer at once and if necessary seek a court order. You can say that you paid higher premiums for replacement coverage and they cannot now treat you as if you did not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been dealing with their claims adjuster, when I ask for a number to talk to the insurance company directly, they say that's not possible
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Then look up the number online for the insurance company. You have to go above the adjuster's head.