Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am non Canadian and applied visa in Toronto,

Customer Question

I am non Canadian and applied for British visa in Toronto, alongwith my family (wife and two kids). I am requesting them to return my travel documents since last 10 days, but there is no reply about the whereabouts of my passports. What legal action can I take? Thanks.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying the British Consulate has your papers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. We submitted it for Visa on 1 Jun. we all four received emails on 2 Jul confirming that our visas have been issued. After that we are still waiting for our documents to be returned despite my several requests to them to return them to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it's fine with you, can I call you. My cell is(###) ###-#### *****
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
I cannot speak to you on the phone. I only know the law in Canada and not in the UK.But what I suggest you do is to send them a letter, by courier or Canada Post for urgent matters that require a signature and explain in the letter that you urgently require your passports back and don't know why they are not be returned and why you are being ignored when you have tried to communicate with them. That should work as the letter will reach someone more senior than your emails or calls.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks but this is what I have already done in the first step. That's why I wanted to talk to you about the method to sue them. What you told me is a very basic step.
Thanks.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
You cannot sue the British Consulate in Canada. It would cost you a small fortune to sue them in the UK. Suing is not a realistic option.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks dear.
All great ideas begin as impossibilities or unrealistic or unviable etc etc.
Individuals suing state organizations and is not a far cry. If not me, I may see someone else doing it in my life time.
Thanks anyways. But that does not help with my plan of what I want to do. Best Regards.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
The goal is to get your passports back and you will get them back. But deciding to essentially sue the government of Great Britain from Canada for the passports is not sensible. Even if the government is wrong the damages are not significant and so what would the court award you?You can get replacement passports in a matter of days if necessary.