Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Well, I sold a motorhome to a fellow that when I bought it

Customer Question

Well, I sold a motorhome to a fellow that when I bought it I was told ahd 84000 original kms, when I sold it I told the fellow the same thing. he bought it in April and called me today claiming that he traced back the ownership and it at one point had 181000 kms. he is saying that he can take me to court because I advertised it as original miles. Is this right?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for requesting me. He can sue you as anyone can sue anyone. If he does sue you then you would put in a defence and explain what has happened and that you don't know what he is talking about and then you would also add the former owner into the lawsuit and essentially take the position that you are not liable to the buyer but if the court says you are then the original owner is liable to you. You didn't know you were misrepresenting the mileage and were being honest and the court will see that. At the same time it may be that the buyer didn't get what he paid for and so the court may find you have to provide him with at least a partial refund or possibly take the home back and give him a full refund.