Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

If I have a custody case and that my ex lawyer in Quebec advice

Customer Question

If I have a custody case and that my ex lawyer in Quebec advice my Quebec lawyer that he was no longer representing my ex can my bc lawyer serve paper upon him if he serve paper upon my bc lawyer before and did not advise my bc lawyer that he was no longer representing my ex
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
If your lawyer served your ex's former lawyer this is OK so long as the former lawyer accepted service. It is not your responsibility to tell your lawyer that your ex's lawyer is not acting any more. That lawyer has to remove him/herself from the record and part of doing that means serving a notice to your lawyer that this is happening. If your ex says he didn't know about the document that was served and he actually did not and if he did miss a deadline the court would extend that deadline. Did that answer your question?