Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I'm writing a book on Official Anti-Jewish Acts. Do you know

Customer Question

I'm writing a book on Official Anti-Jewish Acts. Do you know where or how I can get copies of past or present Official Canadian anti-Jewish Acts (laws)?
Thank you, ***** *****; 0-***-***-****; Los Angeles, CA
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.
HiI don't know about any laws that could be construed as anti Jewish. There are many historically that were anti women or Chinese or Japanese and laws against our aboriginal people are historic. Unlike those identified groups where statute law discriminated against them and still does, the laws that could be described as discriminatory seem more subtle in Canada against the Jewry. Here is an interesting article....http://www.jcpa.org/dje/books/canch1.htmLaw is both statute and common law. My experience is about balancing rights under common law as opposed to seeing outright law imposed discrimination as others have suffered. As an example, I represented the Jewish community against a Nazi who claimed holocaust denial was just freedom of speech. The Human Rights Tribunal held that holocaust denial was a threat indeed an actual code used to further inflict fear. But, that was a balance in Canada between the right to freely express and the right to not be attacked. It was only one case.There are historic realities whereby the US and Canadian governments turned a blind eye to evidence that the Nazi extermination of Jews was happening. There are stories about Jews wanting to flee and being disallowed entry. But that is not law per se and you will find such stories in your research. Canadian law has outright discriminated against some groups but I find nothing about such direct discrimination against Jews in the written word as I can about other ethnicities. In my opinion, you have to look at the stories and how the courts either protected their rights or did not consider them. That is a research question story upon story. Contact what used to be the Canadian Jewish Conference now known as the Center for Israel and Jewish Affairs. I am certain they will have a completely different take on your question than I do.http://www.cija.ca/I bet they can point to stories I have never heard of.Sincerely,Tom