Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I AM IN CONTRACT WITH AN AMERICAN OVER A DOG. THE DOG HAS LIVED

Customer Question

I AM IN CONTRACT WITH AN AMERICAN OVER A DOG. THE DOG HAS LIVED IN MY HOME FOR OVER A YEAR. THE CONTRACT HAS NOT BEEN FOLLOWED BY THE BREEDER AND SHE IS SAYING SHE WANTS THE DOG BACK. BUT WHEN I WAS MAKING ARRANGEMENTS TO SEND THE DOG BACK SHE WROTE TO EVERYONE ON FB THAT I COULD KEEP THE DOG IF I NEUTERED HIM. SO I SETUP THE NEUTER AND SOMEONE CONTACTED ME AND SAID DON'T DO IT UNLESS SHE PUTS IT IN WRITING. I CONTACTED HER AND SHE SAID NO NOT UNLESS I SPAYED AND NEUTERED EVERY DOG I HAVE. I DID THIS EXCEPT HIM AND HIS DAUGHTER. CKC (CANADIAN KENNEL CLUB) HAS PUT HER IN MY NAME SOLE AS THE BREEDER WOULDN'T SIGN THE LITTER REGISTRATION. SO AS FAR AS THEY ARE CONCERNED THE LITTER IS MINE. I NEUTERED THE MALE PUPPY AND PETTED HIM OUT AS PER THE CONTRACT. THE FEMALE I AM KEEPING TO SHOW. IF SHE IS SPAYED I CAN'T SHOW HER.
I WANT TO NEUTER THE MALE AND HAVE HIM AS A PET.
NOW SHE SAYS SHE IS GOING TO TAKE ME TO COURT IN THE USA AND MY HUSBAND HAS STAGE 4 CANCER. I NEED MORE STRESS IN MY LIFE LIKE A HOLE IN MY HEAD. I JUST WANT TO BE LEFT ALONE. I HAVE TOLD HER THIS. SHE WONT STOP. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Please explain what the contract says and how she has breached it and also please explain why what you want to do is not in breach of the contract if it is not. (It could be and you could still be OK if she has breached the contract but I just want to understand all the facts as I don't know about dogs and breeding and showing etc.)