How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 97423
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a company website be shut down if it fraudulently misrepresented

Customer Question

can a company website be shut down if it fraudulently misrepresented company's employee names and how?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A logistic company has listed i as its director on "About Us" page one of the employees who no longer works at the company.
The company has stopped paying owed bills, and collectors are contacting the employee who is listed as a director of sales on company's website. Employee has not worked at the company in over 6 months. Company keeps giving out the xemployee's name as the acting director to the collectors.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
What province is this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
It may be possible to get an order requiring the company to take down the person's name though it is not likely that the Court would order the closure of the website.But this will be a very expensive lawsuit. A better first step then starting to sue would be to retain a lawyer to send them a letter threatening a lawsuit for both taking the employee's name off the site but also for damages for inconvenience and also for an order for the employee's legal costs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would small claims court handle such lawsuit ?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
No You need an injunction so that is for superior court unfortunately.

Related Canada Law Questions