Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I bought a car from a dealership in Manitoba, they said the

Customer Question

I bought a car from a dealership in Manitoba, they said the financing was approved, and delivered the car at their own expense to Alberta. A few weeks later they said the bank had actually denied the loan, and they needed the car back. I asked if I would be refunded my deposit, of $2500, and they said yes. I have emails of how much they were going to return to me, which they claimed would be the whole amount. So I took money I had saved, $1000, and put a deposit down on a used vehicle while I waited for them to return my deposit. It's been two weeks and they're now completely ignoring my emails and calls. If I don't get my money back, I'll lose both deposits and have no vehicle, or money! Would I be able to take them to court with those emails?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Where is the car you bought from this dealer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have it, they came and picked it up,
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
It's too bad you allowed then to take it without a cheque. In any event, they clearly owe you the money and there is no reason at all why you won't succeed in Court. The emails are good evidence of course but even without the emails you would succeed. I suggest you send them a letter by Registered Mail giving them a deadline for giving you the refund and telling them that if they fail to comply you will not only sue them for the money, interest and your costs but damages if you lose this other car. You can sue them in Small Claims Court and can self-represent and if it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Awesome thank you!
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Please let me know how this works out. And please know that the post will not lock after you rate me so you can post back to let me know and it won't cost anything more.