Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I'm President of a small non profit in the Yukon. Our bylaws state: No Director shall

Customer Question

I'm President of a small non profit in the Yukon. Our bylaws state: No Director shall receive any remuneration for serving on the Board of Directors. Directors may be reimbursed for eligible expenses as determined in advance by the Board of Directors.
A board member entered into a verbal agreement with another board member to have that second board member do a small amount of work. The second board member has submitted an invoice and wants to be paid for the work. Would paying the invoice violate our bylaw about remuneration for a director?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
The only time a director cannot be paid is for being on the Board. So if the payment is for something else that is permissible.