Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My husband work overseas on a 28/28 rotation. We have been

Customer Question

My husband work overseas on a 28/28 rotation. We have been going to couples counselling once a week for a month. Before he returned to overseas the last councelling session turned ugly and he agreed to go back to work and when he returns will have a decision to what he wants. During his time away I have found out many things that has changed my feelings about him. I do not want to continue with the marriage. We have been married 45 years. He is to return in one week. Should I consult a lawyer prior to his return and do what???
Thanks
Elaine
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
You should do so if possible. The lawyer will explain the law and the process and so you will know what to expect. As well you should gather or make copies of all the financial documentation that you can find. And make a list of questions for the lawyer as well. What you can do to find a lawyer is one of the following things.You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.The number is:1-***-***-**** or***-***-**** in CalgaryOr you can check on a site called lexpert. This is a legal directory of leading lawyers and law firms throughout Canada and is well-respected by the legal community.Here's the link to their website:http://www.lexpert.ca/Directory/DirectoryContent/FindLawyersOrFirm.aspxI hope that helps as a starting point.