Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I bought a condo last fall and paid full deposit on unit, indoor

Customer Question

I bought a condo last fall and paid full deposit on unit, indoor parking spot and locker. On moving in I was assigned parking spot #59 in basement of the building. However, few days before closing the developer phoned our notary that they are short of parking spaces an offered $10K for giving it up. I ofcourse refused, so they increased the discount to 15 and then to twenty thousand. At closing date our notary was told that parking spot is OK.Today, six day after closing I got a thretening letter that i will be tiketed if I dont move the car. After some hagling I was assigned ne wspot outside next to garbage storage where a river oo garbage juices run theough the spot. It is impossible to get in or out of the car without wading thru this mess. No compensation was offered. This new spo woul deluate the cost of the unit substantialy.
I have only small Canada disability pension, Woul I qualify for Leagal Aid?
Sincerely
David Souhrada
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, legal aid does not cover civil matters. However, it may be possible for you to into your local legal aid clinic, tell them that you are on disability benefits, and ask if they could help you at least by writing a letter to the condo corp indicating that you paid for a regular parking spot, were told that you had one, and would not have closed the deal without being provided one. The letter can say that you are considering that your contract has been breached and if necessary you will sue for damages. If you cannot get a lawyer at the legal aid clinic to send this letter I suggest that you consider paying a lawyer to send this letter for you. I am not suggesting that you retain the lawyer to sue. What you can do to find a lawyer is one of the following things. You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free. The number is: 1-***-***-**** or(###) ###-####(within the GTA)