Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I live (own) in a strata run complex. I recently launched an

Customer Question

I live (own) in a strata run complex. I recently launched an informational website for my complex of 238 units parkavenuetowers.ca. Can I post the monthly strata minutes and/or email them to my neighbours?
The management company sent me this email: Please advise of who has initiated this site. This site is not password ***** and is allowing outsiders to access Minutes and other strata related documents that contains information that should not be public (i.e. access and passwords to FCPM owner website)
I am willing to edit the document of any passwords and have temporarily removed the strata minutes from the website. I built the website to assist my neighbours who are having difficulty accessing the files through the Managements website.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
There is no law that prohibits you from emailing strata minutes that have been given out to the owners to the various owners who have provided you with their email addresses.You do have to be careful to ensure that it does not appear that you are acting on behalf of of the strata Council. And if you are going to have a website you better make it very clear that this website is not owned or operated by the strata Council but by a single owner who is not operating under the supervision of the Council nor acting as the Council's agent.You should also be very careful not to ever reveal confidential information which any's privacy rights as you can then be sued.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks but that doesn't answer my question. Can I post the monthly strata minutes on my website?
Also I'm unclear by what you mean " have been given out to the owners" The minutes are in a PDF that owners can retrieve online through the Property management's site.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
You can post them online so long as only the people who are entitled to see them can see them. You don't have the right to put them online in a public forum as they are not public documents.