Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

What is required of me when terminating a foreign live-in caregiver,

Customer Question

What is required of me when terminating a foreign live-in caregiver, who is living in my home. I understand the payments, notice, etc. to terminate an emplolyee (I live in Alberta). I understand Alberta Employment Standards requirement to terminate an employee. What I am not sure about is how do I terminate her live-in situation. The fact she is living in my house - nothing in her employment contract with me, states how I need to go about getting her to leave my house. Can I just kick her out? Can I just arbitrarily set a date that works for me, to have her leave the house? I am hiring a new nanny who will be living in my house.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
She must leave when her employment ends. She is not s tenant and is not covered by the resort is tenancy act.
She has right to stay once you tell her to leave.