How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 97480
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Newfoundland, I am 68 years of age, I have been employed

Customer Question

I live in Newfoundland, I am 68 years of age, I have been employed for 5 years with a not-for-profit, I have had an exemplary employment history, my salary is approx $68,000 annually. The availability of similar employment opportunities is not that great given the economic status of the province. I have been terminated without cause and offered $35000 pay in lieu of notice ( approx 6 months). Should I be entitled to more pay in lieu ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
The law is that you are entitled to receive reasonable notice or pay in lieu of notice. Generally, in determining what is reasonable notice Courts look at several factors including the length of time you worked for the employer, your age, your position, the likelihood of finding new employment etc. At the high end, if you were in a managerial position, the Court would likely order one month's notice or pay in lieu of notice for each year of employment. If you were not in a managerial position the Court would order somewhat less. So 6 months is higher than a court would order in most cases.