Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I live in Newfoundland, I am 68 years of age, I have been employed

Customer Question

I live in Newfoundland, I am 68 years of age, I have been employed for 5 years with a not-for-profit, I have had an exemplary employment history, my salary is approx $68,000 annually. The availability of similar employment opportunities is not that great given the economic status of the province. I have been terminated without cause and offered $35000 pay in lieu of notice ( approx 6 months). Should I be entitled to more pay in lieu ?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
The law is that you are entitled to receive reasonable notice or pay in lieu of notice. Generally, in determining what is reasonable notice Courts look at several factors including the length of time you worked for the employer, your age, your position, the likelihood of finding new employment etc. At the high end, if you were in a managerial position, the Court would likely order one month's notice or pay in lieu of notice for each year of employment. If you were not in a managerial position the Court would order somewhat less. So 6 months is higher than a court would order in most cases.