Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My mother in law passed away recently and there are three wills

Customer Question

my mother in law passed away recently and there are three wills the last is not signed completely can they use the one unsigned, plus should all beneficiarys get a copy of the will
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean when you say it was not signed completely?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the last pages were not signed
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Did she sign the very last page?
Were there two witnesses?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no she didn't sign the last page there were people in her hospital room an she didn't want to discuss her will in front of them
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Were there two witnesses?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no to phone call
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no phone calls thanks
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
I just need the answer to my question and then I will answer. I don't do phone calls anyway so don't worry about that. My question is whether there were two witnesses that saw her sign the first part of the Will.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am not sure
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't sound to me that the last Will will be considered to be valid. It sounds like she could have signed it but decided not to and so it is most likely that the last Will that was signed and witnessed would be the one the court decides is valid. Yes the beneficiaries will get a copy of the part of the Will that applies to them. The residuary beneficiaries (the ones who get what is left after the specific bequests are given out) get a copy of the full Will. But anyone can get a copy of a Will as soon as there has been an application for probate as then the Will is a matter of public record.