Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I want to appeal a promise to keep the peace placed on

Customer Question

hello I want to appeal a promise to keep the peace placed on me better known as section 810.1 of the criminal code banning me from the internet for 24 months which I know is an infringement on my first amendment rights
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.
An 810 is voluntary bond where a person agrees to its terms.If a person agrees to the terms of such a Bond in court, there is no possibility of later challenging it under the Charter. A person can waive personal rights. Almost always an 810 involves giving up Rights. Rights of mobility and freedom of speech are common. Anyone who agrees to an 810 gives up rights and having done so, cannot get them back. It is essentially a deal to avoid a criminal conviction whereby the person agrees to abide by court imposed restrictions and if the person does, then no criminal charges will result. Anyone can bargain away their rights. That is generally what an 810 is.Huge money to challenge a voluntary agreement on restrictions but you should always consult your own lawyer.If you need more info, please advise.Sincerely,Tom
Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.
Cheers