How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2415
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to appeal a promise to keep the peace placed on

Customer Question

hello I want to appeal a promise to keep the peace placed on me better known as section 810.1 of the criminal code banning me from the internet for 24 months which I know is an infringement on my first amendment rights
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.
An 810 is voluntary bond where a person agrees to its terms.If a person agrees to the terms of such a Bond in court, there is no possibility of later challenging it under the Charter. A person can waive personal rights. Almost always an 810 involves giving up Rights. Rights of mobility and freedom of speech are common. Anyone who agrees to an 810 gives up rights and having done so, cannot get them back. It is essentially a deal to avoid a criminal conviction whereby the person agrees to abide by court imposed restrictions and if the person does, then no criminal charges will result. Anyone can bargain away their rights. That is generally what an 810 is.Huge money to challenge a voluntary agreement on restrictions but you should always consult your own lawyer.If you need more info, please advise.Sincerely,Tom
Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.

Related Canada Law Questions