Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

My brother was my co-signer apt. lease that was for

Customer Question

My brother was my co-signer for an apt. lease that was for 1 year. June 2013 to June 2914. So the lease had expired and I stayed on month to month without creating a new lease. There was problems within the buildings with construction and I was away from the apt for 5 months. The landlord is trying to make my brother responsible for 4100. in rent when the original lease had expired June 2014, It is a year later, 2yrs later after the original lease. Is my brother, the co-signer for the first lease still responsible for repayment of this rent .... ?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
What does the lease say in terms of how long he is the co-signor for, if anything?Do you agree this money is owed but you just don't want the landlord to go after you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the rent was owed but the lease was expired and I stayed month to month with no lease. Can they still make my co-signer responsible for this unpaid rent out and beyond the 1 year lease.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello , I'm awaiting an answer please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm still waiting for an answer regarding my co-signer .... ?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
I haven't received the answer to my questions. I know you were on an month-to-month tenancy but I still need to know what the original lease said about how long he is the co-signor for.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'M SORRY, I believe there is a duplicate lease is here somewhere. I will have to view one of their leases. The original lease is packed and so we have to view the original..... I don't have the info you require.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
I will be online off and on all weekend. So just let me know when you have the information as I cannot give an answer without it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would I reach you in particular. You say you are the only one answering when questions come in ... ?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
This post is now just for me so don't worry.