Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My question is regarding property tax in BC. A company contacted

Customer Question

My question is regarding property tax in BC. A company contacted me for the balance of my mortgage, stating is was in default due to tax owing. They emailed me documents, and I have asked for a breakdown on the $$$. They say they cannot do that, but I think I should be entitled to this info. They gave me 24 hours to submit a proposal for them to give to the bank. It is hard to do this, without knowing the amounts.
I thought I was in the Property Tax Deferment Program but apparently I am not. My taxes are $350 per yer, and they are claiming 4300 for taxes.
I would like to ask for relief from the penalty & interest, because I qualify as a single parent, and also I am over 55. Can you give me any advice? They are wanting the proposal today. Thank you
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying this is a collection agency that the bank hired?Can you find out the total of your taxes that are owing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a law firm. They say hired by bank. The bank did not know (I was talking to bank about a home equity loan optuon). That's how I found out Their letter says property tax included in the amount due.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
I suggest you find out from the city how much tax you owe. Then I suggest you send a letter to the law firm and explain what happened, and that you thought you were in a property tax deferment program but now realize you were not. State that you need to know what is owing to the bank for the mortgage and state that you called the city and found out you owe $X for the taxes.Then ask for written confirmation about what you owe with a break down and tell them once you have a full understanding of what you owe and why you will then be prepared to provide them with a proposal but cannot do that before. I also suggest you call the bank manager tomorrow, explain what is going on and ask for help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done that. Response was - can't provide tax info. I want to request relief from penalizes and interest on that account. I also want to ensure the homeowners grant is applied. I will send a proposal for the actual taxes owing . Request extension for the interest, penalty and applicable grants. Is this a wise idea?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Yes that makes good sense. But you can get the tax information yourself and should do that first thing tomorrow.