Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am being harassed by the original owner of a debt, they contacted

Customer Question

I am being harassed by the original owner of a debt, they contacted family and friends and have disclosed the debt to at least 10 people. Is there anything I can do to stop this?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
This person is not covered by the act because the acts covers collection agencies only. But, the person is acting unlawfully if they are harassing you so, you should keep an accurate log of their attempts to communicate with you and others and, as well, have proof in writing that you demanded that they cease and desist these communications at once. If they do not stop you should ask the police to charge this person with harassment. If the police will not do this then your next step would be to retain a lawyer to send them a letter demanding that they cease and desist and threatening a lawsuit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any recourse I can do with the damage they have already done? Or is it dependent on what happens next.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Is the damage because they told people about the debt, or is it because of the persistent harassment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Persistent harassment, the individual has contacted my friends and family whom she has never met and has called and text everyday for the last week. It is starting to cause issues with my relationships, as well as with my work due to the persistent calling.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it may be possible to seek damages, as you have already incurred them due to this persistent harassment. However, it would be hard to quantify the damages, so whether it is worth suing for them or not is hard to say.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much, you have been extremely helpful.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome.