Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

What are the consequences involved when not reporting that

Customer Question

What are the consequences involved when not reporting that I was out of the country for a week while on Employment Insurance . I realize that I will have to repay the weekly amount and possibly a fine, but can this affect a pardon which I am in the process of acquiring ( the pardon is for dangerous driving ) Can this become a fraud charge ? I am asking on behalf of my daughter Natalie. She has received a form letter stating the CBSA traveller declaration reported her outside the country during a week in January . There are a number of questions for her to answer . She will answer them truthfully but is afraid it may jeopardize her ongoing pardon . Natalie has another 3 years before her pardon will take effect . Any comments or suggestions will be very much appreciated
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
It may affect her pardon as she has committed an offence. But she has been caught, as all those who do this do get caught and so she will have to pay the money back and will be fined and it will also affect her ability to get EI in the future. She has no choice but to answer honestly. They know the answers anyway frankly. And she has to hope that as this is her first offence and that it was just for one week that this won't affect her pardon but she should be prepared for the worst as she committed an offence while waiting for her pardon which was a very risky thing to do.