Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My son, a US citizen living in California, is to marry his

Customer Question

My son, a US citizen living in California, is to marry his Canadian (Quebec) fiance in Montreal on 7/25. His fiance's father is insisting on a marriage agreement under the matrimonial regime of separation as to property (there are family shares in a private company) and has a lawyer involved. How can my son get legal advice on whether or not to agree to the proposal (which he doesn't have yet)? Or on what to propose as an alternative? His fiance is essentially uninvolved. The two of them intend to spend ~6 months of each year in the US and Canada so at the moment there are no immigration issues.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
He will need to consult with a family lawyer in Quebec. He would take the drafted marriage contract and a list of his assets and debts and consult with the lawyer. What you can do to find him a lawyer is one of the following things.You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and ca nconsult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $30.Here is the contact information you will need:http://www.barreau.qc.ca/en/public/trouver/avocat/Or you can check on a site called lexpert. This is a legal directory of leading lawyers and law firms throughout Canada and is well-respected by the legal community.Here's the link to their website:http://www.lexpert.ca/Directory/DirectoryContent/FindLawyersOrFirm.aspx