Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I have been separated since dec 31 2012.. Had a written separation

Customer Question

I have been separated since dec 31 2012.. Had a written separation agreement my ex and I followed but not signed but he is now engaged and we r going through with divorce.. He served me with a copy of separation agreement and I feel there is some grey areas but I am running out of time to get to Prince george to find a laywer and make changes.. Can I sign it to get the divorce process going and make changes later or should I contact his laywer stating my changes and wishes
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
No you cannot sign a document you don't agree to. That is not possible and it can harm you terribly. They cannot give you a deadline to pressure you into signing and in fact it is not in anyone's best interests for you not to get independent legal advice. So tell the lawyer that you are not signing anything until you have your own lawyer and perhaps get names of lawyer that this lawyer knows who may be available to take you on as a client now.