Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Is setting me up as having issues with communication and telling

Customer Question

Is setting me up as having issues with communication and telling people I created ruptures in professional relationships defamation when I was not disrespectful and it stemmed from my refusal to come to work half an hour Befire our union contract specifies and in my case, family status as a single parent? I am being pathologies for setting healthy boundaries that respect our Union contract ad. Allow me to get my children off to school Befire coming to work. Not to mention, I worked an extra half hour at the end of the day to meet oath students. Contract is 830-4, I needed to start at 9 and stayed until 5. I did specify I would start the following year at 830, but I would not then stay Until 5.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Your post has many typos and I am not sure I am understanding all you've stated. Are you asking if talking about you this way is defamation? Are lies being said about you or are mean opinions being stated?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are saying I do not communicate well and have ruptured relationships by being ride to people. This is a lie. My bosses were furious when I said I would not accommodate an 8 am start time because it violated Union contract times and because I have two children at home who need my supervision. I had arranged with another boss my first year to work 9-5. They said this caused a major rupture and that I needed a lot of coaching to repair it, except it wasn't me who handled it inappropriately. I was repeatedly asked to start at 8 and I politely but firmly refused every time. It got to the lint I felt I was being harassed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rude, not ride... Auto correct not very helpful sometimes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They extended my probation for a third year and then did not confirm my employment for the fall. This communication issue and bed g assessed at a 'new teacher level' rather than an expert teacher level was also stated, but there are all kinds of holes in all their arguments. Essentially they kept me on probation for three years so they could get rid of me more easily.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
So you are saying then that these two bosses have actually lied about you and this has harmed your reputation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I think it has with the head of school (head could have stepped in to stop termination at step two in the grievance process ) and I don't trust they will give me a good reference. It is in writing about my 'communication issues' in my performance appraisal that was reviewed by the head. However, students and parents have nothing but praise for the work I ha e done in student services
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The communication issue is one of the reasons they are terminating me so yes I think that damages my reputation. What is your take?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Your question is about defamation.Defamation is false communication about a person that tends to hurts the person's reputation.The communication must be made to other people, not just to the person it's about. It can be spoken or written, or it can even be a gesture. The law protects your reputation against defamation so, if someone defames you, you can sue the person for money to compensate you for your damage to your reputation. But it's important to understand that the law doesn't protect you from a personal insult or a remark that injures only your pride; it protects reputation, not feelings. For example, if someone says that you are a sleazy person then that's not damaging to your reputation as it's really just a mean insult. But if the person is saying that you are dishonest in business, you probably do have a good reason to sue. Defamation can be a crime under the Criminal Code, but only rarely. You may also be able to sue for a violation of your privacy under the provincial Privacy Act. You may also have a complaint under your province's Human Right Protection Legislation. In your case because the defamation is happening both verbally and presumably in written form the actual legal terms for what you would sue for are "slander" and "libel". If you can prove that someone libeled you and that person does not have a good defence, then a court will presume that you suffered damages andaward you money to compensate for your damaged reputation. The law treats slander differently than libel: with slander, you have to prove you suffered damages, in the form of financial loss, to get compensation. It can be very difficult to prove this sort of financial loss. That's why most slander cases never go to court. But in the following four examples, a slander lawsuit may succeed without you proving financial loss. Even though there's no permanent record of the slander, the law will presume damages, as if there were libel, if someone:accuses you of a crime (unless they made the accusation to the police)accuses you of having a contagious diseasemakes negative remarks about you in your trade or businessaccuses you of adulteryFor these reasons it would make sense to consult with a lawyer face to face to discuss possible next steps and the risks and benefits associated with suing these bosses personally.