Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

A former roommate owes me $1,800 rent and is now avoiding

Customer Question

A former roommate owes me $1,800 for past rent and is now avoiding me in every way. I know he is working and has purchased two vehicles and has gone on a vacation. I have all the saved texts from him acknowledging he owes me and we had worked out a payment plan, but he has yet to actually start paying me. I would like to know what I should be doing to kickstart his paying?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
What you should do is send him a letter by Registered Mail and in the letter give him a deadline for paying you. Tell him that if he fails to comply you will commence legal proceedings and then will be seeking interest and your costs. You can sue him in Small Claims Court and can self-represent and if it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further.