Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I have a court order to have my ex husband pay 800 a month

Customer Question

I have a court order to have my ex husband pay 800 a month child support
He has informed me he is no longer paying that and will be reduced to 543 for July 1st
It's not a court order or a lawyer letter
Just him telling me
Can he do this to a court ordered child support ?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
He will be in breach of the court order if he does not pay what the order him requires him to pay. If he believes he has a reason that would entitle him to pay less child support then he must seek the vary the court order. If he is not doing that I suggest that as your next step you file the order with the Family Responsibility Office (FRO) at once, and tell them that you are concerned because the father has indicated to you that he will not comply with the order starting July 1st. Unfortunately the FRO may take several months to start dealing with this, so it may make sense to tell the father that you will be registering with the FRO at once, unless he agrees to continue to pay the ordered amount.