Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I received a ticket for"Disobey Traffic Control Device"(direct

Customer Question

I received a ticket for"Disobey Traffic Control Device"(direct quote from ticket)
It stated on ticket -On or about June 6,2015.
It did not state the time of the infraction.
Can I fight this ticket and win?
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you this question?
Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi.The reason they use words "on or about" is to give the person enough information to know what they are facing. It is a catch all. But, if you fight it, the police officer who issued it will have to appear and testify exactly when the even happened and what time. Often they do not show up so often it is worth trying. But, don't expect to win just because there is no time. At court they can fix that through evidence. If there is a surprise in their evidence then the court will grant an adjournment so you can better prepare but not necessarily throw the ticket out. Try it but even mistakes on tickets do not automatically result in a ticket being dismissed. It all comes down to what the officer says. If after testimony is complete and it is not certain when it happened or at what time, then the court should extinguish the ticket. I hope this has assisted you.Sincerely,Tom