Copperlaw
Copperlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and Retired cop. Drug expert, breath tech, negotiator, traffic specialist. Criminal, Family, Civil and others.
38596469

On April 26, 2015 while shopping at "The Cannery" in Richmond,

Customer Question

On April 26, 2015 while shopping at "The Cannery" in Richmond, (Steveston market) I fell and broke my hip. I had just purchased some earings and decided to put them in my purse. I placed my purse on top of a barrel which had a fishing net draped over it. Once I placed the earings into my purse, I turned and proceeded to walk away from the barrel. Down I went....I hit my right temple on the floor and could not get up. I noticed my right foot was still still stuck in the net at which point I removed it. I still could not move. I was taken to Richmond hospital and diagnosed was a broken hip......The next day, I was operated on as they needed to stabalize my hip with a screw and plate. My question - can I sue? It has been a long road to healing/recovery and I have been so limited and retricted as to what I can do.
Thanking you in advance for your advise.
Carol Price Sent
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.
Hi Carol, I am sorry to hear that this has happened to you.
Based upon the information that you have provided, it sounds like the store certainly has some liability for placing this fishing net in a position where a customer could catch their foot on it such as you have, which resulted in your fall and your injury.
I would be surprised if you have not yet been contacted by the store's insurers or lawyers.
You would be best to consult with a local personal injury lawyer and I would expect that they would be happy to take the case on for you on a contingency basis, wherein, they take their fee out of the award received at the end of the case, as opposed to having you pay legal fees up front.
The Law Foundation of British Columbia provides a Lawyer Referral Service. This service will put you in contact with a local lawyer selected for your matter and you will be entitled to a 30 minute consultation with the lawyer for only $25. Many lawyers however do not typically charge this fee, but it is put in place to filter out people who are just looking for free advice and not really interested in retaining a lawyer. If you give them a call, they would be happy to connect you with a local lawyer.
You can find more information on this service, along with their contact info here.
http://cbabc.org/For-the-Public/Lawyer-Referral-Service
Please let me know if you require anything else as I am happy to chat with you further.
Also, please take a moment to leave me a positive rating as this helps me to build my reputation here on the site.
Jim
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.
Please drop me a quick note to let me know if you require anything else at all.
Jim