Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Question: My sister and I have the joint property. I have a

Customer Question

Question: My sister and I have the joint property. I have a personal loan with her, and I am paying her 1,000.00 a month. Can I stop paying this while the house is being settled? I am not sure if you are the same lawyer I had previously. Thank you
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
If you owe money to your sister and the agreement is that you owe monthly you will be in breach of the agreement with your sister. However, perhaps your sister will agree to your not paying until the house is sold. But this will be completely up to her. At the same time, it will take her several months if she decides to sue you and gets a judgement so it may be that there is little she can do quickly if you stop paying her.