Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Current girlfriends ex-husband is a police officer and emails

Customer Question

Current girlfriends ex-husband is a police officer and emails her with threats about breaking my neck, using profanity and calling me names. What recourse do I have?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear this. What is likely best is for you to first consult with a lawyer face to face and have the lawyer assist you in reporting this. This police officer can be charged and can also be disciplined. He is committing an offence by threatening to kill you.And you should not have to be afraid of reporting him because of his job. After all, you have proof in email.But having a lawyer help will mean that this cannot be swept under the table by the police. The lawyer will know how to speak to the police in a way that protects you and also makes it clear that this is not going to be ignored because he is a police officer.You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free. The number is:1-***-***-**** or(###) ###-####(within the GTA)