Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Have been in a common law relationship years in Alberta.

Customer Question

Have been in a common law relationship for 5 years in Alberta. Want to leave she is threating to take my car and everything and go for alimony. The car is registered in my name. My questions are
1. Can she take my car
2. Can she take all my tools
3. Will she qualify for alimony she makes 1/4 what I do.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
She has no right to your car or any of your assets. She will be entitled to some spousal support. Your relationship was short so it will not go on for that long though you might have to support her to some extent for a few years.She does have a duty to become self-sustaining and so it is possible she will get some support at first and then it will be reduced somewhat and then eliminated. If you want some idea of what you might have to pay and for how long you can use this online calculator. It is just an approximation and a guide and nothing more:http://www.mysupportcalculator.ca/Welcome.aspx