Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I was terminated from my job after 1.5 years without cause

Customer Question

I was terminated from my job after 1.5 years without cause and the top of my termination letter indicated "without prejudice." What does without prejudice mean in this instance and what can I tell potential employers regarding the reason for my leaving my former job?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for requesting me. "Without Prejudice" means that anything they say or any offer they make cannot be used against them in Court. So if you sue for wrongful dismissal then you cannot use the contents of the letter as evidence. You can tell potential employers what you like but if you are not honest that could come back to haunt you if they find out of course.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HR offered to give me an employment letter indicating the dates of employment and salary. I also have references from Senior VPs I worked with in that department. Would a potential employer be satisfied with this as far as references go (generally speaking) or would they want to call HR directly? Is HR obligated to answer more questions from potential employers if asked?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
The employer would likely be satisfied with those references. HR has no obligation one way or the other.