Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am seeking advice regarding inheritances and potential

Customer Question

I am seeking advice regarding inheritances and potential family law claims.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for requesting me. Please let me know your province and the basic facts. Then please let me know your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live in the province of Ontario. My father died roughly 3 yrs ago. His will states that no action be taken regarding who
gets what as far as money or other items he has deemed to be handed out until his wife (my stepmom) dies. My sister
and her lawyer gave me a letter (Certificate of Appointment) where it says they are now in a position to transfer half
my stepmoms house to we 3 kids. We 3 kids are deemed the estate and are responsible for taking care of her of
her property. I've been advised to seek legal advice regarding what I believe is called a deed. What to do regarding
inheritances. I hope that explains what I am seeking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not married and have no children.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
The deed will show who has title to the house. It is now called a Transfer. But it is needed to know where things are in terms of ownership. But what I don't understand is how anything is being done now if you are correct in saying the Will freezes everything until your step-mother dies. I don't know what you are specifically asking about though when you say what to do regarding inheritances as it seems me to that nothing can be done at this point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My sisters lawyer thinks each of three children will be "tenants in common" or we can choose joint tenancy between the
3 of us, what is your opinion?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Tenants-in-common makes sense. You don't want the last person living to inherit the entire house. You would want your portion to go to your estate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Thank you for your assistance. Have a great day.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
You too!