Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

My son and his girlfriend just had a beautiful baby boy 2 weeks

Customer Question

My son and his girlfriend just had a beautiful baby boy 2 weeks ago. They are very financially strapped and the girlfriends mother has offered a rent free room to the girlfriend.... in BC I am fearful that when the girlfriends mother arrives to visit the kids in Bawlf in a couple of weeks she will abscond with the girlfriend and baby. My son has been paying all the rent as well as both vehicle payments she has $940/mos in debt not including rent or groceries or gas etc..... we are hoping she will get some EI but it will be minimal at best. we are also hopeful she will get some child tax credit. my concern again is the mother of the girlfriend will take the two and run to BC leaving my son with all the payments, and then child support on top of it. the mother is a bit emotionally unstable, has a condition known as Vascular Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and has suffered brain aneurysms in the past year...... so to be clear my question is how can my son get at least shared custody to prevent them from running????
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Will the mother agree to a joint custody order?