Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

If my common law partner suffers from addiction, but has never

Customer Question

If my common law partner suffers from addiction, but has never been violent, how do I ensure that I get full custody of my child. As we are splitting, what steps do I take to ensure my child is safe?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, there is no such thing as ensuring you get sole custody. There is no way to do that and no steps to take. Your first step is clearly to consult with a family lawyer face to face and the more experienced the better if possible. The Court will make its decision based on what it finds to be in the best interests of the child so you will have to show why sole custody is best for the child. The addiction will be a factor the court will consider but only so far as how it affects parenting. If you have been the child's primary caregiver that will bolster your case significantly. So make an appointment with a lawyer and also start to think of what you do for the child, what your partner does and how you can show the court that the addiction puts your child at risk for harm when with your partner.