Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I AM IN THE FIGHT OF MY LIFE WITH MY COMMON LAW WIFE...WE ARE

Customer Question

I AM IN THE FIGHT OF MY LIFE WITH MY COMMON LAW WIFE...WE ARE UNDER A COURT ORDER NOT TO REMOVE STUFF FROM THE COTTAGE . I WAS UP THERE THE OTHER DAY AND THREW OUT AN OLD SEAT CUSHION AND DECK CHAIR WHICH ARE ABSOLUTELY WORHTLESS AND HAD ACCUMULATED MICE SHIT ETC SO I THROEW THEM OUT. FIGURING NOBODY WOULD EVER KNOW ANYWAY.
AS I TURNS OUT, WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE SHE HAD VIDEO CAMERA'S INSTALLED AT THE COTTAGE AND NOW SHE HAS ME IN FRONT OF THE JUDGE USING THE VIDEO EVEIDENCE !! IT WAS WORTHLESS STUFF COVERED IN MICE SHIT!
IS SHE ALLOWED TO TAKE VIDEO OF ME IN MY OWN COTTAGE WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE ??
I LIVE IN ONTARIO CANADA....PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS SOME SANITY TO ALL OF THIS ??
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
No. She is not permitted to video record you or anyone else without consent. The reason why is that you had a reasonable expectation of privacy. You can ask the court to exclude the evidence on the basis that it was recorded unlawfully. However, it is often the case that in civil matters a court will admit unlawfully obtained evidence so long that is considered relevant and probative. Let me know if you need any further clarification.