Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

What is the longest length of time an ATM contract can be in

Customer Question

What is the longest length of time an ATM contract can be in Quebec? Is there a new law that says it cant be more than 2 years ?
Also, can contracts auto renew ?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Jeremie John Martin replied 1 year ago.
I'm a Quebec lawyer.
Can you confirm what you mean by ATM and also give precisions about your question concerning car contracts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have an ATM company (You know those bank machines to get money from that you see in bars, gas stations etc.)

I just signed a contract with a customer to put my ATM machine in his bar, however, my customer was already in a contract with another ATM provider and now that ATM provider is threatning to sue my customer as he is in breach of contract. The contract that he signed in 2012 was a 7 year contract. Now, I have heard that Quebec passed a new law that contracts cannot be for more than 2 years in length. If this is true, then my customer's contract with the other ATM provider would be terminated right ? since it was signed in 2012.

Also, his ATM contract with the other company has an automatic renewal clause, meaning that at the end of the 7 years (or 2 years) the contract automatically renews itself. Is this legal ?

I'm not familiar with this law and the price offered for the question is insufficient for me to research the question.
I will respectfully ***** ***** and let another expert hopefully answer your question.
Best regards,
Jeremie ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do you do corporate law ? If i ever need legal services for my ATM company in the province of quebec, can I contact you ?

Sure I can help you out, yes I do corporate law, however it can only be through this site.
Best regards,
Jeremie ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good day,

The depth of the legal services of what my company needs cannot be solely completed through this site. I am looking for a lawyer for my company in Quebec. I will contact you when I am in Montreal.

Thanks