Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I was recently caught shoplifting an item that was ten dollars

Customer Question

I was recently caught shoplifting an item that was ten dollars at a mall. I know that this is wrong I was in a bad head space at the time however no there are no excuses. My question is I was not arrested however I returned the item and mall security had me leave the mall and was advised be I cooperated that I would not be charged that i was not to return to the mall for a year as in the event I did I would be charged with trespassing. My question is I am scheduled to visit family in the United States next week will this affect my ability to travel?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
It will not in any way. You were not charged let alone convicted so there is no criminal record. If you were charged and then convicted that would be another matter. But you got lucky and so long as you don't return to the mall for a year this matter is done and will never come back to haunt you.