Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I have a bathroom renovation and my contractor flooded

Customer Question

Hi
I have a bathroom renovation and my contractor flooded the neighbor one floor below. he had to tear down the neighbor's ceiling of her bathroom and I had a plumber came in to fix the badly installed pipes which were done by my contractor.
After waiting 3 weeks to get the wood of neighbor's ceiling to completely dry , today the contractor came to close the ceiling of the neighbor, he found that further away from the previous position of water damage, there was another area of wet wood indicated small leaking of water from other area. He said that it could be from the main pipe from my kitchen or her kitchen, not related to the result of my bathroom renovation.
My questions are :
1. Who should pay for the main pipe water leaking . (if the pipe is mine or the neighbor ) ?
2. If it is related to the bathroom renovation,
How do I go about getting the contractor's insurance to pay for it ?
Do I have to make a claim myself? ( Even though the damage is to the neighbor one floor below .) Or my neighbor downstairs should make a claim herself?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Is this a condo?What province is this please?