Copperlaw
Copperlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and Retired cop. Drug expert, breath tech, negotiator, traffic specialist. Criminal, Family, Civil and others.
38596469

Can a Condominium Corporation restrict the size of a vehicle

Customer Question

Can a Condominium Corporation restrict the size of a vehicle of an owner? The Rules and Regulations state a 3/4 ton pickup but not a one ton - is there any recourse for this type of issue?
Thank you
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.
Good evening, I would be happy to assist you with this question.
Condominium corporations are governed by their bylaws, which are enacted upon their creation and can be modified and amended through membership votes. Some bylaws are created to protect the property and it is possible that this bylaw may have been enacted for this purpose. There may be concerns for the weights of vehicles parked on the property or for the size limitations of parking, or for some other similar reason. It would be necessary to do some research or make some inquiries of the board in order to determine why and when this bylaw was enacted.
You will want to know this information before taking steps to try to change or eliminate the bylaw. Otherwise, if you were to try to take action on this, the board could pull this information out in response. So you'll want to have all of the information you can beforehand, so that you are prepared for any arguments and can address same.
In order to change or remove this particular bylaw, you would have to follow your condo corp's procedures for moving for a vote on the issue. Typically, a 2/3 vote by the membership would be necessary to effect such a change.
I look forward to hearing back from you so that I may ensure that you get all of the information you require.
Also, it would be greatly appreciated if you would take a moment to leave me a positive rating as this assists me in building my reputation here on the site.
Jim
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I see that you were back in and viewed my response however I do not see a reply from you. Please let me know if you are satisfied with the information that I have provided or if you require anything further.
Please remember to leave me a positive rating as this assists me in building my reputation here on the site.
Jim