Daniel Freudman, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
70961067

I was shamefully arrested at an American chain store for

Customer Question

Hi, I was shamefully arrested at an American chain store for repeated shoplifting under 5000$. There is never a good excuse other that I suffer from depression, cyclothemia and am recovering from a major concussion from a car accident in January 2015. I have been unemployed for over a year and a half, receiving welfare and sickness benefits. I have been having severe financial difficulties since I declared bankruptcy in 2011. It is my first arrest but I shoplifted there several times, stupid I know. I am terrified of getting a criminal record and of my family finding out. Also terrified of not being able to travel to the states or abroad as I have family in different countries. I hope this question will remain anonymous? Thank you for your time and help. Would I be eligible for community service and a fine? No record? The retailer is sephorA.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Daniel Freudman replied 1 year ago.

Given all of your mental health issues, and the fact you have no criminal record, I think there is a good chance the crown with drop the charges upon you performing some community service. I cannot see you getting a criminal record or anything of that sort that would hinder your travel abilities.

When you speak with the public defender, and ultimately with the crown, it may be wise to bring any documentation that supports your mental health condition e.g. any prescription for anti-depressants, or any doctor's notes attesting to your situation. Upon seeing this, I would imagine the crown would offer to drop the charges if you perform some community service, or something along those lines.