Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

WE received a letter from a lawyers office representing a company

Customer Question

WE received a letter from a lawyers office representing a company we leased machinery from 2008. Our business had to shut down and we agreed to make payment on half of what was remaining on the lease. We did start making payment for 2 years. Gave the collection company a void cheque and we noticed payments stopped coming out. My husband tried contacting the company with no response. It has been 2 years and now we receive a letter stating they would like the remaining balance of 21,000 by June 3 or they will sue us for full amount of 43,000. We are not in any situation to pay this as after 8 months I have just gone back to work. What do we do?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
What province is this please and when is the last time, exactly, that a payment was made?