Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I work company in which my responsibilities tend

Customer Question

Hi, I work for a company in which my responsibilities tend to extend past regular 9-5 work hours with phone calls and emails overseas. The company pays up to $100 for my smartphone bill which is my own personal device, under my own personal plan. For the past year or so, I expensed my smartphone bill and only provided the summary of my bill. Now they are asking to provide full details of the bill which includes all detailed records of every call. I feel that I shouldn't have to provide this as it contains all my personal calling details as well. It is my right not to provide the details of my bill? This is my own device which I paid for and is under my personal plan. It would be different if it was a company device under a company plan which I would be happy to provide. Please help....
Thank you.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
I suggest that you provide them with the bill that lists the calls but black out your personal ones. They don't want to see who you are talking to. They just want to see that you are using the phone enough for work that it makes sense for them to pay you the $100 a month.If you don't want to do that they will stop funding this and you won't have an argument to stop them.I am sorry this is not the answer you were hoping for