Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

On May 26th I asked carfinco my car company to do a voluntary

Customer Question

on May 26th I asked carfinco my car company to do a voluntary repossesion on my car I was served notice of Seizure of personal property on May 26th when they took the car and just checked my bank account and they have pulled a car payment ....can they do this ??
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please as fast an answer as possible is greatly appreciated so I can deal with this at 8am with my bank
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Yes they can do this if you still owe them money after the car is repossessed. You don't get out of the total of what you owe them.So they can seize and sell the car but you owe what is owing less what they received from the sale of the car. They will figure out what you woe in total which is what you would have paid for all the years had you not defaulted and also add repossession and auction costs and then subtract what they get from the sale and you still owe all of that.The only time that is not the case if is you bought the car under a conditional sales agreement and in that case they can either sue you for what you owe, or seize the car but not both.