Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Paul is Treza's husband. Treza hired me to do photos

Customer Question

Paul is Treza's husband. Treza hired me to do photos for her listing. Paul is the developer of the town houses that Treza is selling. Now Paul is asking me if I could send the photos I have done for Treza to him. I am new to this market and I am not 100% sure if I can ask Paul to pay to use the photos again cause it's for a different use. He is going to use them for his company's website. Any advise?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
He has to pay you to use them unless there was an agreement between you and Treza that she owned the photos that she hired you to take.The law is that the person who created the work owns the intellectual property rights to that work unless that person was an employee creating the work in the course of employment (and you were not) or unless there is an agreement to the contrary.