Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I have paid my lawyer several thousands of dollars in the last

Customer Question

I have paid my lawyer several thousands of dollars in the last 4 years and my husband and I have signed settlements to agree on everything. My lawyer now says until you give me another $ 1600.00 I am not doing doing anything.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Law Maven replied 1 year ago.
Hello – my name is***** am a family lawyer in Ontario, and I’ll be happy to help with your question today.
If the Separation Agreement is signed, and you have copies of that, you can file them with the Court yourself to get the Divorce Order. Or, if all the lawyer has is the Divorce Order, you can go to Court yourself to get another copy.
It does depend, to a certain extend, on a couple of questions:
1) What, if anything, has already been filed with the Court, and what Court fees have been paid?
2) Is the $1,600 payment for things the lawyer has already done, or for doing the next steps?
Let me know that, and I can give you a more exact answer regarding what you can do.
Please note, though, that if the $1,600 is owed for work already done, even if you can get your divorce without that lawyer's help, he has a legal right to take you to Assessment Court to get paid.