Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

There, I wanted to see a lawyer since I needed his/her

Customer Question

Hello there,
I wanted to see a lawyer since I needed his/her expert advice on the following issues faced by me:
1 Even-though I am highly qualified and experienced in Canada and internationally, I have remain unemployed for the past 2 years. My remaining out of work and spending all the (remaining) money has put severe strain on my resources and am (almost) facing bankruptcy on account of it.
2) I believe, I am facing discrimination because of my age and (skin) colour. This is because I see that all my past colleagues have secured employment even when they were very much less experienced and also less qualified than me.
3) I have already worked for about 10 years in my field and proved myself, over and over again. I strongly believe that there is no problem with my competency or with my adaptability.
4) Also, I did secured a license to work in my regulated profession in 2012, but am not given a chance to work and pay bills for me and my family. I have applied to hundreds of positions and many companies have also interviewed me in the past 2 years. I however find that they all have not bothered to reply to me or employ me due to reasons unknown.
5) I have worked extremely hard in the last 10 years here in Calgary and had brought good reputation to many Calgary Companies because of my in-depth knowledge of the subject and devotion to work. All my supervisors have (and will in future, if required) given very good references to Companies I have applied.
Please help me. I do not want to go bankrupt and need urgent expert advice.
Many thanks in advance.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
We cannot see you or be your lawyer.I can provide you with legal information. For example I can explain the law of discrimination. Or I can suggest ways on finding a lawyer in Alberta. Or I can move this question to the job category if you think some information provided by an expert in that area would help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please provide me legal information and explain me the law of discrimination. Also suggest me ways on finding a lawyer in Alberta for my job category.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
What you can do to find a lawyer is one of the following things.You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.The number is:1-***-***-**** or***-***-**** in CalgaryOr you can check on a site called lexpert. This is a legal directory of leading lawyers and law firms throughout Canada and is well-respected by the legal community.Here's the link to their website:http://www.lexpert.ca/Directory/DirectoryContent/FindLawyersOrFirm.aspxThe law is that you cannot be refused a job or even a job interview because of your colour, religion, race, country of origin, gender, age sexual orientation, marital status, disability etc.You can be refused an interview or a job if you are so experienced that you may be too expensive. I don't know if that is the case but if you are essentially overly-qualified or if the employer just wants to pay less than you deserve that is not discrimination. Discrimination is often very hard to prove. But if for example someone seems very interested in you until they meet you and you notice they act differently the moment they see you that could be a sign.More significant though is if there are employers whom you can see only hire white people, for example. This is called systemic discrimination and that may be easier to prove if it exists.What I suggest you do is see a lawyer in your city and discuss this issue in detail but also consider calling the Human Rights Commission:http://www.albertahumanrights.ab.ca/about/contact.asp