Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

A job i have been offered wants me to sign a contract. I am

Customer Question

A job i have been offered wants me to sign a contract. I am not sure what some of it means. One part says "you agree to devote your full time and attention to the performance of your duties. During the course of your employment with the Company, you agree that you will not engage in any other material undertaking without the express written consent of the Company. You also agree to carry out your duties in a competent manner and serve the Company faithfully and diligently under the direction of the principal." I have a second job would this affect that? It also says "You shall be entitled to 4% vacation per calendar year. Vacation is to be taken at a time mutually convenient to you and the company. Your vacation shall be pro-rated for any partial year of employment" I thought after 5 years they had to pay 6% for vacation? It also says that "the contract duration will be for 3 months ending sept. 1, 2015 and may be extended within one week working notice. This position does have the opportunity to become permanent." then it says "The first three months of your employment shall be considered a probation period in which you or the Company may terminate your employment for any reason without notice." Is this a little odd that my contract is for three months,but im also on probation for 3 months? It then states " You will be eligible for the enrollment in any benefit plan established by the Company. The Company reserves the right to alter or eliminate any employee benefit plan at any time in its sole discretion." Is that fair to me? The job also said uniforms were provided but it does not say anything about that in the contract.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
This is a lot of questions for one post. I will start out answering but we may run out of time given the list of questions. Yes this can affect your right to have another job. They are saying you need written consent from the employer before taking on another job so you had better clarify this with them before signing the contract.The contract is just for 3 months so there is no reason for them to talk about 6%.They are saying that while the contract is for three months they can dismiss you at any point during the three months and that they can do so for any reason or no reason and that you are not entitled to termination pay or notice. No it is not at all fair or acceptable for them to be able to take you off the benefits plan whenever they want to do so.You can ask for them to include a provision that states they will be providing the uniforms.