Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

My mother has passed. She does not have a will. I am currently

Customer Question

My mother has passed. She does not have a will. I am currently finalizing her arrangement and attempting to arrange her affairs. Without a will, no spouse, and the her only child arranging to lay her to rest, I have the lead in all aspects of her funeral. She has assets and additional Death benefits through the Alberta Government, but no will. How do I begin to attempt to gain control of her estate so I can open an Estate Account for her? I have looked into a Grant of Administration through the Alberta Courts but I am still uncertain if this is my best approach if there is no will. I am a Canadian Citizen, but a resident of the USA as of December 2012. Mom has no children remaining in Alberta and no children anywhere that have the means to care for her. Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Stephen
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
What type of assets does she have and how much are they worth?