How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 97986
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am now 75 years old I arrived in Canada as an Immigrant

Customer Question

I am now 75 years old I arrived in Canada as an Immigrant on May 2nd 2005 Ergo I have now been here 10 years.....I was told that I could not claim for Od Age Security until sole income is $600 from the UK (old age security) and $27.15 employment pension from employment over last 9 years...everyone tells me I am allowed to to claim for assistance but I am a lttle confused Terrence
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
To receive the Old Age Security pension:
- you must be 65 years of age or older;
- you must have legal status in Canada;
- if you live outside of Canada, you must have had legal status on the day before you left Canada;
- you must have lived in Canada for at least 10 years after turning 18 (or 20 years if you now reside
outside of Canada);
- you must submit the necessary documents; and
- you must complete and sign the application.
It is true that you must have resided in Canada for 10 years. You may still qualify for a pension from another country (UK), from Canada, or from both if you have:
lived in one of the countries with which Canada has a social security agreement in force; or
contributed to the social security system of one of the countries with which Canada has a social security agreement in force.
If you want to apply for Canadian benefits look to the following for the specifics:
Copy and paste the url so you can see the exact information and what you will need to supply when you apply.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
This question just appeared on the Canada Law list. It had inadvertently been placed on the US tax list and was mistakenly answered by a US tax expert. You need a Canadian law expert to answer to be sure all your questions are answered fully and competently. The answer provided by the original expert is correct in terms of what was said but not complete. That is because there are potential additional benefits available to you. For example as you have a lower income you are likely entitled to receive the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) in addition to the Old Age Security Pension. This is a great benefit as it is not taxable.As well, if you worked in Canada during the years here you may also be entitled to CPP retirement pension which has nothing to do with needs but is based on contributions.You can read about the GIS here: Here is a page that has the contact information for OAS (Old Age Security) and CPP: Let me know if you need further clarification and sorry for the initial confusion.

Related Canada Law Questions